Law Article Written By: James Novak, Phoenix DUI & Criminal Defense Lawyer
If you are charged with a crime or DUI in Arizona, you should consult a good Arizona Criminal Defense or DUI Attorney. Many do not know where to start or what to look for when to hire a good DUI or criminal attorney. Consequently, they may hire the one lease expensive thinking will produce the same outcome, so why pay more? Or to the contrary some feel if they higher the most publicized or expensive DUI and Criminal Defense attorneys they will get a better outcome. Neither perception is true.
Some of the best Arizona criminal and DUI defense attorneys are Law Firms who charge the most affordable price and can get you the same or better outcome. And some of the most expensive attorneys simply “go through the motions” and do little to protect your rights or fight for your defense. In the latter scenario, the final product results in a losing and unfavorable outcome. The best qualified Arizona criminal defense and DUI lawyers agree that there are far more factors to consider than price. There are more factors to consider when choosing an attorney if you are facing AZ criminal or DUI charges. So below are some important questions to ask and answers to consider:
• Are they familiar with constantly changing Arizona Laws and penalties?
• What forum or resources do they use to keep updated on these changes?
• Are they licensed with the Arizona State Bar to practice criminal and DUI defense in Arizona?
• How long have they resided in Arizona?
• How long have they defended criminal and DUI charges in Arizona?
• Approximately how many cases have they defended relating to your particular charges (assault, DUI, Theft, etc)?
• Are they familiar with utilizing criminal and DUI defense strategies that apply to your charges?
• How long they have been practicing Criminal and DUI defense?
• How experienced are they in trial and litigation?
• Approximately how many trials have they done?
• What was the outcome of those trials?
• Is their Law practice exclusive to Criminal and DUI Law?
• Have they been former prosecutors?
• Do they have a proven track record of success?
• Are they good litigators?
• Can they examine the evidence to build and mount the best defense?
• Do they regulate their case load to make sure they can put the time and effort needed to labor over building and mounting the best defense for you?
• Who will be handling the details and events of your case from start to finish? If a different attorney at that law firm will be handling your case, you want to make sure you meet them and ask them the same questions.
• Are they strong enough to challenge the prosecution’s case or evidence against you?
• Will they be available to answer your questions and guide you through the processes?
• Will they over turn every item of evidence to look for weaknesses in the prosecution’s case?
• Will they be able to present compelling arguments and file motions with the court, and educate the judge, prosecution and jury about your side of the story?
• How often have they defended cases in that particular court you are required to appear in Arizona?
• Are they familiar with the judge, prosecution, procedures, and stringent time-lines?
• Have you read reviews on the internet about the quality and effectiveness of their defense?
• Has anyone you know and trust referred them to you?
• Are their fees affordable and competitive in relation to others in the jurisdiction for which you face charges?
• Can you comfortable with communicating with them?
• Are they directly assessable?
• Are they respected and reputable in the community?
• Did you feel confident after your consultation that this DUI or criminal Attorney will give you the best defense possible?
This is just a sample list to consider when looking for a good AZ criminal or DUI attorney, but this should paint the picture. A good defense attorney will gladly answer these and any other questions you have to your satisfaction. If not, or you do not fee that comfort level, then talk to other criminal or DUI attorneys in Arizona until you do. You are the employer in this case. It is only prudent that you ask the right questions and get the answers you need to hire the best Criminal or DUI attorney to defend your case.