By: James Novak, Phoenix DUI & Criminal Defense Lawyer
Due to ethical practices, this author will not be throwing any peers under the bus or name dropping. Even better however, you will get tips and tools to help you identify, good Arizona criminal defense Attorneys and DUI lawyers from those who should think twice about before hiring. The ordeal of a DUI stop or criminal arrest is traumatic for most people. The last thing you need, is to be taken advantage of, adding insult to injury. Here are examples of 5 red flags that should alert you, to seek another criminal or DUI lawyer’s services for your Arizona criminal charges.
1) An Attorney out of state who is not licensed to practice law in Arizona.
If you have Arizona criminal or DUI charges, you need to hire an attorney in good standing who is licensed to defend cases in Arizona, for many reasons. To name a just a few: Criminal and DUI laws and penalties are some of the most severe in the country. The laws are turbulent and constantly changing. You need to hire someone who is well versed and familiar with the laws and the criminal justice system in Arizona.
2) An Attorney who “guarantees” they can get your DUI or Criminal charges dismissed. No attorney has a crystal ball. No attorney can tell you before retention, examination, and due criminal law process, what the outcome will be. And certainly no attorney can predict in advance what a jury will decide. . Anyone who guarantees an outcome to lure you into to hire them is giving you false hope, which is cruel and unethical.
3) An Attorney who tells you all DUI charges are “standard” and will result in the same outcome. This could not be further from the truth. All DUI & criminal cases have their own unique set of circumstances. Depending on the facts, the laws, the attorney who is defending you; defense strategies used; the strengths and weaknesses of the prosecution’s case; and much more, determines the outcome in a case. DUI and criminal charges get dismissed every day in Arizona. Some of the charges and sentences can be reduced. Some defendants enter negotiated agreements which can have a variety of terms. Every case is different, and there are many possible outcomes.
4) An Attorney who uses “scare tactics”. There is big difference between giving you factual information related to your charges and the criminal law process, v. trying to scare you into hiring them. After your consultation or hiring of an attorney you should feel confident that you are in good hands and that you have hired a competent AZ DUI and criminal attorney who will fight vigorously for your rights and freedom. You should feel a sense of trust and peace of mind- in their competence. You should never feel that if you don’t hire that particular attorney you will get the maximum sentencing allowed by law. Enough said.
5) An Attorney who charges high fees tells you that if another Attorney charges lower fees, they are less competent or will do less work on your case. Wrong, wrong, wrong again. There are no official governing entities dictate how much attorneys can charge in Arizona. You will get a wide range of quotes low to high. What AZ criminal and Dui Attorney’s charge is not a reflection of their competence, or how hard they will work to defend your case. Some of the best Arizona DUI lawyers charge some of the lowest fees and have for years. There are many reasons for this including, the law firm’s operating costs, staffing needs, advertising expenses, size of the firm, competition, location, and more. Arizona has no shortage of qualified, experienced criminal and DUI attorneys who can provide you with a solid and effective defense at an affordable price.