The Mayor of Phoenix AZ recently announced plans for the largest Gun Buyback Program to be held in May 2013. It is being funded by an anonymous donation of $100,000.00.
A Gun Buyback Program is an organized jurisdictional effort to compensate gun owners in return for their guns. The goal is to take unwanted guns off the street so that they are not a threat to police officers or residents of the communities.
Here are some facts that have been released about the program:
• It will be conducted every Saturday in May, excluding Memorial Day weekend;
• Sessions will be held in various different parts of Phoenix in church parking lots or other trusted locations;
• Anyone can drop off a weapon anonymously. City officials announced that no questions will be asked regarding the source of the firearm or it’s possessor;
• The owner will receive an unknown amount to be determined at a later date for the weapon;
• The Phoenix Police will check to see if the firearm was stolen. If so, it will be returned to the rightful owner;
• If the weapon was used in a criminal offense, it will be retained by police to be used an investigation.
• All other firearms will be taken out of circulation.
More details will be released as May approaches. For more information a person can contact *Arizonans for Gun Safety at 602-547-0976.
Criminal Defense Attorney Phoenix AZ
Gun offenses are very serious crimes in Arizona. Convictions under A.R.S. 13-3102 Arizona criminal code call for harsh penalties, many of which are felonies. All firearms used in the course of conducting or fleeing from a crime are felonies, and call for aggravated sentencing of the initial crime. Felony convictions call for a minimum sentence of 1 year in prison, and loss of the right to possess a gun, and classify the person as a Prohibited Possessor under the Arizona gun laws.
If you have been arrested for any weapons crimes under Arizona you should always consult a criminal defense attorney before pleading guilty to charges. If retained, they will protect your rights, defend your charges, and make every effort to get a good outcome in your case. There may be constitutional rights that were violated, or other defenses that may be used to resolve the matter favorably on your behalf.
*The Law Office of James Novak is a criminal defense firm serving clients in the Phoenix area. It has no affiliation with Arizonans for Gun Safety or the Phoenix Police Department.
• Phoenix Buyback Program
• Arizona sentencing for serious, violent or aggravated offenses