With Labor Day 2012 fast approaching and ASU back in session, police are increasing presence in and around East Valley Cities.
DUI Task Forces will be set up again this weekend on Mill Ave, in Tempe AZ. Police will also be organizing Traffic, Pedestrian, and Bike Safety checks.
The DUI Task Force officers will be looking for persons engaging in underage drinking; and binge drinking. They will also be seeking out motorist who are driving “impaired to the slightest degree” due to alcohol or drugs.
Basic DUI Laws in Arizona
• The legal limit in Arizona is 0.08% or greater (A.R.S. §28.1381.A. 2);
• A motorist may be charged for DUI if they are under the influence of drug or alcohol and found to be driving “impaired to the slightest degree” (A.R.S. §28.1381.A).
• The higher the Blood Alcohol Content BAC, the more severe the penalties;
• Sentencing for first time Misdemeanor DUI charges will result in Mandatory Jail Terms, Ignition, Interlock device, and driver’s license suspension;
Under Age 21 Drinking Laws
• The legal drinking age is 21 in Arizona: (ARS § 4-244(34);
• Underage 21 Drinking DUI convictions in Arizona are subject to “Zero Tolerance” laws. Motorists convicted of driving under the age of 21 with any alcohol or drugs will be exposed to criminal penalties which include: Jail terms; Ignition Interlock Device on Vehicle; 2 years driver’s license suspension or denial; Probation or Community Service; Alcohol/Drug screening and treatment.
Binge Drinking is the Number 1 cause of Alcohol Poisoning. It is also the number one cause of drunk driving and resulting DUI and DUI with Auto Accidents. Binge drinking is defined as having 4 to 5 alcoholic drinks or “shots” within a short time span. It can result in serious illnesses, acute and long term disease and even death. It is the result of the body’s inability to metabolize the alcohol as fast as it is ingested. It takes a least an hour, for the liver to metabolize one drink. Other factors are taken into account for metabolic speed including body weight; food ingested with the alcohol; other medications; medical conditions; alcohol tolerance level and other factors. So in a binge drinking situation, the alcohol or “shots” ingested may just begin to shock the body which feels it effects long after the last drink, once they have left the bar.
Criminal Defense Attorney Tempe AZ
If you were arrested for DUI it is important that you consult an experienced criminal attorney to discuss your case and defense options. The laws and penalties are some of the harshest in the country. With so much at stake, you should always retain qualified legal representation for any alcohol or drug related criminal offense. If retained, your lawyer will protect your rights, defend your charges, and provide an effective defense that can preserve your future and freedom.
4500 S. Lakeshore Drive
Tempe AZ 85282
Arizona DUI & Criminal Defense
Serving Tempe, Phoenix,Mesa, Chandler, Gilbert, Mesa, Scottsdale, AZ