How an experienced Criminal Attorney Builds a Defense Case
Phoenix AZ a DUI or other criminal charge it is important that you consult a private criminal defense attorney who defends criminal charges in Phoenix Court. You will easily be able to find a good criminal or DUI defense Attorney who provides a Free Consultation. Most of them do.
You may wonder what can an Attorney do that you can not do yourself. A good Phoenix Criminal Attorney or Phoenix DUI lawyer is highly educated, trained and experienced in defending and litigating criminal and DUI charges. They are familiar with the criminal laws of the state of Arizona, as well as case law. Qualified DUI or Criminal Attorneys who defend cases on a regular basis know how to use the authority of law, defenses that can be used, and exercise your constitutional rights to defend you.
Phoenix AZ DUI & Criminal Attorney – How they build your Defense Case
What you may not realize is that behind the scenes a good DUI or Criminal defense lawyer who defends cases in Phoenix criminal court is involved in many activities on your behalf. Once retained, your Phoenix DUI or criminal defense attorney will guide you through every phase of the Arizona criminal justice system, keep you informed and answer all of your questions. Here are some things a good Phoenix AZ DUI defense or Criminal defense attorney will be doing with you as a team, or behind the scenes:
1. Gathering and evaluating all evidence, or lack thereof;
2. Looking for exculpatory evidence (evidence in your favor);
3. Determining what defense strategies and tactics will best serve your defense to get the best outcome in your case;
4. If one is necessary, securing and reviewing independent opinions and reports from experts;
5. Reviewing all documents including but not limited to police reports, your citation, sobriety, breath test, or chemical test results, photographs, and #911 call transcripts;
6. Interviewing, deposing, or questioning arresting police officers; investigative officers.
7. Containing or interviewing other witnesses if available.
8. Creating and mounting a compelling defense case against the prosecution’s evidence and case. Note: This is not something that just happens at trial. An experienced attorney will take every legal opportunity in the criminal justice system phases to utilize defense tactics to get evidence suppressed, reduction in charges, or a dismissal of your case. A good criminal defense or DUI lawyer will waste no time and recognize the opportunities;
9. Participating in court proceedings, other hearings, status conferences, and pre-trial conferences, which focus on legal issues such as admissibility or suppression of evidence; modifying pre-trial release conditions, and plea negotiations; other legal matters regarding your charges and defense.
10. Preparation for trial;
11. Your Phoenix DUI or criminal defense attorney will be working with you and the prosecution to work out a mutually agreeable resolution. This is generally known as “plea agreement”. It would avoid the expense, adverse impacts and uncertainties of trial results. The resolution must be approved by the court as well. Plea negotiations can include but are not limited to more satisfactory resolutions such as modification of the charges to lesser charges and sentencing, an agreement not to file new charges, sentencing of probation instead of jail time, reducing jail or prison sentences, dismissing a portion of the charges or a total dismissal of charges.
A word of caution about choosing a DUI or criminal defense attorney: Take some time to make sure that the DUI and criminal defense attorney you select to defend you in Phoenix AZ court, has the time to devote, knowledge, qualifications necessary, litigation experience, and is committed to doing everything possible to defend you. If you are represented by such an attorney your chances of getting your DUI or criminal charges reduced or dismissed significantly increase.
f you have been arrested for DUI or criminal charges in Maricopa County, South Central Phoenix, Central Phoenix or anywhere in the Greater Phoenix or East Valley AZ cities, contact the Law Office of James Novak, for your Free Consultation at (480) 413-1499. Speak directly with experienced Arizona criminal Defense and DUI Defense Attorney and James Novak (Former Prosecutor). Also visit www.arizonacrimialdefenselawyer.com for helpful DUI and criminal defense information. .
The Law Office of James Novak is devoted to defending DUI, Drug & criminal charges in Arizona, valley wide within Maricopa County including the cities of Tempe, Scottsdale, Gilbert, Chandler, Mesa, and Phoenix Arizona, Phoenix Metro, and Phoenix East Valley Arizona..
This post was intended to provide general information only and is not intended as specific legal advice. You should not rely upon this information alone, but should consult legal counsel regarding the application of the laws and regulations discussed and as applied to your specific case or circumstances.