Criminal Justice Article by: James Novak, Chandler DUI & Criminal Defense Attorney
All criminal courts in Arizona have standards of etiquette one must follow when attending. Below are the standards adopted by Chandler City Court known as the Chandler Municipal Court:
1) All weapons, food, drink, and gum are prohibited in the Court building.
2) Sit quietly when Court is in session. Talking and whispering to others in the courtroom is prohibited. Background noise can disturb the court reporter, document and those involved in proceedings.
3) All cell phones, and mobile devices must be turned off in the courtroom.
4) Refrain from shuffling of newspapers, books or text messaging, all of which can be distracting to others.
5) When addressing the Judge, or Hearing Officer, stand a few feet back from the bench. Do not lean on the Judge’s or Hearing Officer’s bench. Always address the Judge as “your honor”. For example “yes, your honor” or “no, your honor”.
6) Dress Code: While you will see many attorneys in formal attire or suits, others to do need to dress formal. However, clothing mist be clean, neat and in good repair. Shoes and shirts must be worn. Refrain from wearing clothing which has offensive slogans or disrespectful pictures on them. All hats and caps must be removed before entering the court building.
7) Avoid bringing small children or infants into the Court room. If you must, you will need to make sure they are in good behavior and do not cause disruption. If they do become noisy or disruptive, the parents and the children may be asked to leave the courtroom.
If you are unsure about a particular item or etiquette it is best to call in advance to avoid delays in the proceedings for which you plan or are required to attend. Below is
Chandler City Court Address and Phone number:
Chandler Municipal Court
200 East Chicago Street
Chandler, AZ 85225
If you have been arrested in Maricopa County for AZ DUI other criminal charges contact the Law Office of James Novak, for your Free Consultation at (480) 413-1499. Speak directly with experienced Arizona criminal Defense and DUI Defense Attorney and James Novak (Former Prosecutor). The Law Office of James Novak is devoted 100% to defending DUI, Drug & criminal charges in valley wide within Maricopa County including Phoenix, Mesa, Tempe, Scottsdale, Chandler, Tempe, Gilbert Arizona and surrounding cities.
This article is intended to provide general information only, to generate discussion, and increase awareness of a particular topic. It is not intended as specific legal advice. You should not rely upon this information alone, but should consult legal counsel regarding the application of the laws and regulations discussed and as applied to your specific case or circumstances.